Starting 1st Feb 2017 this group is going to be weekly.
This group provides an opportunity for parents/caregivers to talk about the impact of their teenager’s substance use on their family, home life & selves. You can talk about the approaches you have tried and ‘on top’ concerns in a safe & supportive place. It provides space to ask questions, gain knowledge on alcohol & drugs and youth development and explore parenting approaches.
Advice and guidance comes from both Altered High counsellors and from other parents. It also has a focus on how family look after themselves and self-care skills. More information about the content of the group is provided at the bottom of this post.
– Runs on Wednesday evenings – 6pm to 8pm-ish
– We ask that people please call our Dutyline on 845 1893 on the date or prior to the date to let us know you are intending to come
– It is at our office in Kingsland – Level 2, 409 New North Rd, Kingsland.
We are on the corner of New North Rd and Bond Street. There is parking in the carpark behind just off Bond Street and you can come up the lift under the building. Be sure when you come to go to Level 2, as level 1 is the CADS Central Adult team. See map below.
Starts Feb 1st
The Concerned Parents and Caregivers group provides:
- Space for parents/caregivers to talk about their concerns related to their young person’s substance use and how this is impacting on their family & them personally
- Information on AOD, and youth AOD dynamics/issues: an opportunity to ask questions and explore answers
- Discussion about teenage developmental stages & behaviours, and how the addition of AOD use/behaviours adds to parenting dynamics
- Information about setting boundaries and consequences – core parenting skills
- An opportunity to identify existing strategies + solutions that have been tried and/or working well (strength-based approach)
- Exploration of potential new strategies to implement and take away
- Strategies for talking to young people about their AOD use
- A focus on self-care: identifying existing strategies & new ones to try. Support & assistance with stress management
- Information on Altered High Youth Service referral pathway and model of treatment, for those who have young people engaged with/starting to engage with/or potentially will be referred to service.
- A take home parent resource package
Altered High parenting information sheets
Have you attended the group? If so please provide feedback about your experience here – AH CPC feedback